Monday, November 17, 2008

Weekend of Soccer




We spent the weekend in Statesville, NC for a soccer tournament. Our last of the season. We played really well. However, we lost two games but we did win our first game. Alex was in goal and was heavily pounced upon with goal shots. She managed to save a ton. The second team we played were just a better team, They were a premier team and it showed. I think they shot on goal every 20 seconds! Alex worked hard the first half with a score of 0-0. The coach kept Alex in goal the second half, usually he switches out with our other goalie. Our girls were just very tired and we ended up losing 5-1. Disappointing, but lots more work and we be the same kind of team.

We also got to have dinner with our good friends Terry and Sherri Whelan. They live in blowing Rock NC. We met about half way for all of us which was Hickory(furniture capital). Brandi their daughter also came with her three beautiful children. It is so funny to see Brandi as a Mom of three! I still think of her as the tween when we met about twenty years ago...
Most importantly they are the reason for many many happy times in my life, Kev and Alex. Their introduction of Kevin took me out of unhappy times, so I am always beholding to the Whelan's for caring enough about the both of us.

So another soccer season behind us and basketball season in front. The pics are from one of the games and the picture of Ted is how he travels, which is nice considering what family he is part of.

2 comments:

Kathleen said...

Congratulations to Alex! Defeat is disappointing but it sounds like she was the best goalie she could be. She is a lovely young lady and I'm sure you are both so proud of her!

I'm glad you got to spend time with the Whelan's. I think the may be called "Bookshelf Friends" You know they are there and it is always a delight for another visit when you can take them "off the shelf". Isn't amazing how all these kids are so grown up with spouses and children of their own? When did this all happen? I don't know about you but I pray for them every day.

As for Ted, it took me a few moments to figure out which end was up!

The Lowe Family said...

yeah Alex!!!
I'm glad you got to spend time with the Whelans. I have so many memories of their family, it was so good to hear how they were doing!